Strawberry & Yoghurt Love Muffins
Try these delicious and healthy muffins for Valentines Day! There’s no need to blow your diet when they taste so good! Happy Valentines!
- 1 1/2 cups 100% Whole Wheat Flour (using Whole Wheat Flour makes the muffins quite dense).
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil (packed & measured solid)
- 2 cups Stevia, pure cane sugar, or sweetener of choice
- 1 Large cage free egg
- 2 Large cage free egg whites
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- 12oz or 1 1/3 cups Chobani non-fat, plain Greek yogurt (or try vanilla or strawberry)
- 2 cups or 16 ounces package of fresh strawberries (washed and chopped into small pieces).
Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a non-stick muffin tin with olive oil. Set aside.
Step 2: Whisk together the flour (except the 2 tablespoons- keep this aside), baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
Step 3: Mix together the cream coconut oil and stevia (or sweetener of your choice) until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the whole egg then the egg whites, one at a time, until well mixed. Drop the speed down to low and gently stir in the lemon juice.
Step 4: Keeping the speed on low, slowly add the flour mixture then a bit of the yoghurt, alternating between the two, until the mixture is just incorporated. Don’t overmix as the muffin mixture is already quite dense.
Step 5: Coat the strawberries in the remaining 2 tbsp of flour then gently mix the berries into the batter. At this point, the batter will be quite thick.
Step 6: Using a large cookie spoon, scoop the batter into the tins so they are about 90% full. This recipe should give you about 18 muffins.
Step 7: Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the tins for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 8: Enjoy!
Recipe Adapted by Amber Forbes from Slim Pickin’s Kitchen
Photo by Amber Forbes from Slim Pickin’s Kitchen