3 bay leaves
2 tsp whole cloves
3 black cardamom
1 Tbsp green cardamom
1 piece cassia bark
1 tsp fennel seeds
4 small dried chillies
1kg red onions, sliced
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
3 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp fresh ginger paste
2 tsp fresh garlic paste
1 Tbsp chilli puree
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree (or extra tomatoes)
1kg lamb/meat, cubed
2 Tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
good pinch salt (to taste, optional)
small amount vegetable oil
1. Heat a small amount of oil in base of a pan, until almost smoking. Add bay leaves, cloves, cardamom, cassia bark, fennel seeds & dried chillies. The black cardamom explodes & adds flavours into the oil.
2. Add onions, need them brown & sweet.
3. While onions cooking, add ginger, garlic & powdered spices.
4. Stir in chilli puree & a little water to stop the spices from burning.
5. Add tomato, tomato puree & salt & stir well to combine.
6. Turn heat to high to sear meat, add meat. Stir well so all the meat pieces are coated.
7. Add a little more water. Cover with lid & cook 35-40mins.
8. Just before serving, add chopped coriander, but don’t cook it.
Recipe courtesy of Julie Masci, New Life Nutrition